Black Acorn Dogs

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Stinkin' Up the Joint

I've been in desire for some kind of nice air freshener or pretty smelling stuff since the van smells a bit like, well, a 10-year old van. It doesn't stink, but nor is it "New Car Smell". I don't like the smell of your basic tree-shaped fresheners, so I was thinking about using some lavendar flowers or something to nice it up. Diane got me some great lavendar sachets double the size of my fist at World Market that were simple purple netting filled with lavendar flowers, tied with a little ribbon. I was thrilled -- until I smelled them. They reeked like something you'd buy at Bath and Bodyworks. Now mind you, if I buy lavendar scented handsoap from Bath and Bodyworks I wouldn't consider it to be a reek. I'd *expect* it to smell perfumey and fake. But I couldn't believe I was holding these two huge packets of wonderful lavendar that I couldn't even enjoy because they were drenched with "Authentic Imitation Lavendar Scent (tm)". Gross.

Fortunately I had a baggie of lavendar upstairs that has been sitting around for a while, and I took a handful of it, wrapped it into a little pocket of cheesecloth tied with a twistie, and left it in the van all day. Not nearly as attractive perhaps as violet tulle and ribbons, but after sitting in the hot van all day, lavendar (REAL lavendar) was the first thing I smelled when I got out of work yesterday. Works for me.

2 Comments:

  • You might want to try putting some vanilla extract (the real kind, not the imitatoin stuff) on a cotton ball and leaving that in the van. It will not only make the van smell better, vanilla extract also helps neutralize stale smells. Then, the lavendar will smell even better.

    By Blogger Noddy, at 4:14 PM  

  • Ooh, I love that idea! I'm going to try that tomorrow.

    By Blogger Erica, at 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home