Black Acorn Dogs

Monday, April 03, 2006

Dulles Pet Expo

Much fun was had at the Pet Expo this weekend. The magnificent Shiloh "demo dogs" outside the booth drew lots of crowds and attention. I took a lot of pictures which I hope to have up by this weekend.

I did bring Ebony out for a bit, but it lasted only about 30 minutes. I brought her out on Saturday afternoon, which was the worst time I could have done it because it was wall-to-wall people, children, dogs, strollers, etc. WAY too much. I'm sure it would have been easier if I'd brought her out during average traffic or a slow time, but it was a good experience for her anyway. Fortunately, I think I was more stressed out by it than she was. FOr her part, she was just waaaay too excited!

I may have lined up some show handling gigs for the Punxsutawney Shiloh Specialty in May. As in conformation handling[1]. What, you didn't know I did that? Well, me neither, so apparently there's no time like the present to learn. I'm surprised to find that I'm really excited about it. There seem to be quite a few people who come to show their dogs but either don't want to take them into the ring or need extra hands if they end up with more than one dog going into to the winners rings, so I'll probably show up and make myself available. This is what's fun about being part of a breed that isn't so competitive that you wouldn't dream of sending your dog in the ring without a handler that costs hundreds (or thousands) of dollars. The local Shiloh club has an instructional show handling day scheduled as the May club event, so I'm planning to cram. Plus, just for grins, I'm going to start taking Ebby into any of the shows where they offer "companion classes", which are a more casual class for pet dogs (particularly spayed or neutered; you can't compete in confirmation competition with a fixed dog). We will try it for fun, and it's good experience for her anyway.

I made some updates to the Black Acorn Dogs site last night. I changed the format & design and finally posted about Katie passing last November. Comments on the changes are welcome.

[1] i.e. Like what you see on TV for Westminster, minus the cameras, evening wear, and glam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home