Black Acorn Dogs

Friday, January 27, 2006

Back to Training

Classes started again last week after about a month break for the holidays, and the dogs were amazingly excited. I'm so glad that they enjoy training so much, because it really gives them something to do and something for us to bond over. This session Indie is in Sub-Novice/CGC again (take 3, with a few more to go I think) and Ebby is in Novice Obedience. sub-Novice is actually a big below Novice Obedience, although they sound similar; Sub-Novice is about preparation for CGC test, which any old dog can take, and not all need preparation. Kate took and passed it cold when she was 13. If you aren't familiar, here are the 10 tasks; your dog might pass just fine. We're still working on "3 minute away" (I can't pass Indie off to someone else for any length of time, and I'm a bad momma for not practicing it enough), and passing another dog calmly. Novice Obedience is for the first level of competition obedience, and Ebby and I will hang out in that class at least until she has her first of 3 competition "legs" she needs to get the title.

Her enthusiasm is wonderful in class, but one thing she was doing last night cracked me up. We were practicing a 90 degree left pivot, which means she was sitting in heel position at my left side with her head beside my leg, and I turn my body to the left (no steps, just turn) and she has to scooch back in a quarter circle so she stays even with my left. She does this lovely "pracing pony" leap where she jumps dramatically in the air and swings herself around into position. It's quite lovely BUT she hasn't figured out her balance yet and more times than not, she slammed into my left leg while doing it. 70 pounds of dog-in-motion, careening into me at nearly waist-level. Good thing one of us has good balance -- oof! It'll be easier once she gets the hang of it and figures out where to put her body. In the meantime, so long as I don't get knocked over and break my neck, it's pretty funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home