Black Acorn Dogs

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Like I Need Another Pastime

Oh dear. I think we've found a new addicting hobby. I got a GPS unit for Christmas (thanks Dad and Cindi!), and we've dipped a toe (or a foot) into geocaching. I've thought to try it for a while with the GPS on one of my phones but it appears that it might not have worked out so well anyway. I was extremely surprised to discover that there are some 10 caches in easy walking distance of our house, so I want to use it as a good excuse to get our butts out the door and keep going for walks even while the weather is turning cold. We hit about five sites today and found one cache. One location was tricky because of high amount of vehicle and foot traffic, and one we put off for later due to dark and rain. The other two I hope will be easier as we get the hang of knowing what to look for.

If you're not familiar with geocaching, it is basically a giant scavenger hunt / treasure hunt where you find hidden locations primarily by their GPS coordinates. The "find" can range from a tiny watertight container with a simple logbook to a larger container with room to take a 'treasure' and leave a 'treasure'. The one we found today was a film canister, and I think some of the ones we didn't find will have been even smaller.

Ben came with us on the hunts, and we're deciding on the best way to teach him to sniff out caches (kidding!).

1 Comments:

  • Geocaching sounds pretty cool. Geoass-smacking sounds even better, but I have not been able to find any groups participating in that endeavor. I bought a (small) sailboat recently, and I am trying to convince The Boss that I now need GPS to go with it. Wish me luck.

    It is good to see The Reindeer posting again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home